Opening Your Own Brokerage
Are you contemplating opening your own brokerage? Not sure where to begin? The first step is to obtain your broker's license and then join the GMAR as a Designated REALTOR (DR).
Designated REALTOR® (DR) Member
A Designated REALTOR®
must be a licensed broker or certified or licensed appraiser in Wisconsin. There needs to be one Designated REALTOR®
in each office, typically the broker on record or office manager. If you are the broker for your own company, this is the correct membership for you. The Designated REALTOR®
is the one that is responsible for the office getting appropriate paperwork into the board and is the person we will contact with questions, concerns, etc. This membership type is eligible for MLS access.
To join, you must pay an application fee and prorated dues (APPLICATION FORM AND DUES STRUCTURE ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE). Dues are prorated from the date that you are licensed with your company (if you are joining a company that already holds membership) or the date that you join (if you are starting your own company). The application fee is a one time fee as long as you never let your membership lapse.
Benefits of Joining the GMAR:
- Use of the GMAR logo and “member of…”
- Membership in the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), Wisconsin REALTORS® Association (WRA), as well as the GMAR.
- Ability to join Multiple Listing Service (MLS).
- Sentrilock electronic lockbox service
- Efficient, on-site resolution of professional standards and ethics complaints.
- Easy access to help with your legal questions through the Legal Hotline.
- Advocacy for positive public policy initiatives and against anti-business proposals through on-site public policy/governmental affairs.
- Association produced REALTORS’® Home & Garden Show showcases products and services for potential and existing homeowners and offers GMAR members free or low cost marketing opportunities.
- Up-to-date industry information via emails, social media, and in-house seminars.
- Weekly GMAR Newsletter, “WRA REALTOR®” and “REALTOR® Magazine.”
- Products and services to help your business run smoothly and cost effectively:
- Zip forms
- Business benefits (see below)
- Networking at GMAR events, including the Brewers Outing, Golf Outing, Chairman’s Holiday Gala, and Happy Hours.
- A fully staffed professional office, open Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- And of course, help and information is available 24 hours/day at our website: www.gmar.com
We have a variety of business benefits for our members, including:
- CycleBar - Mequon
- Ewald Automotive Advantage Program
- FastPark & Relax
- Marcus Center for the Performing Arts
- Milwaukee Art Museum
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Milwaukee Magazine
- Professional Insurance Programs
Click below for membership application and dues structure.
Mail or fax applications and dues to: GMAR Membership Processing Center
4801 Forest Run Road Ste 201, Madison, WI 53704-7337
Fax: (608) 241-2901
If you have any questions, please contact: Deb McNelly at 800-279-1972 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Michelle Kohn at 414-778-4929 or email@example.com.
Tools to assist in your start-up are contained in "Broker-in-a-Box." The “Box” is a collection of items for brokers interested in establishing an office. Items selected for the Box discuss and provide guidance on business matters such as securing loans, establishing a business entity, setting up a trust account, determining insurance needs, trademarks, plus much more!
- Broker Desk Reference
- Office Policy Manual
- Wisconsin Real Estate Clause Manual
- Wisconsin Real Estate Law Manual
- Real Estate Trust Accounts in Wisconsin
- Trust Account Journal and Ledger
- Sample Forms Reference Pack
- Selected Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Codes
- CD of Broker Supervision Newsletter and Legal Update issues (one year)
The Broker Desk Reference is a key component of the Box. It’s full of checklists, articles, and resources relating to various topics brokers should consider when launching a new business. Specific topics include: accounting, insurance, business entities, employment law, membership, licensing, trademarks and copyrights. Practice-related issues of dispute resolution and risk reduction are addressed as well.
You may purchase Broker in a Box online at the WRA website.